Sunday, July 3, 2011

Home-made Applesauce

When I first read that applesauce is a good butter substitute when baking, I was quite interested. However, I always associated applesauce with baby pap. But then I got to thinking that it would be a healthy treat anyway, so why not try making it myself?

And thus the plan was hatched: I would make applesauce, and use it in my apple-walnut loaf later on.

Chopped apples (skin on -- good source of fiber!), water, cinnamon powder, and vanilla were all I needed for the applesauce.

The progression in appearance of the bright, chopped apples from solid chunks into a brownish mush was quite interesting -- chemistry coming into play.

I started with five chopped apples, with around two and a half cups of water. I then let the water boil, and let it continue boiling for ten minutes.



After ten minutes, I turned the heat down, and let it simmer.




I waited until the mixture turned into a mushy, slightly chunky sauce. I thought it would only take thirty minutes, but I ended up having it simmer for about an hour, with occasional peeks to stir the whole thing and try to hasten the process.




Afterwards, I let it cool for several minutes, then pureed the mixture.


The resulting product is a smooth, mild, apple-flavored sauce.


Good for babies, good for baking too!

No comments:

Post a Comment