Monday, June 20, 2011

The Stones that Spurred a Change of Heart

Who would've thought that Hubby and I could be so serious about our regular brisk evening walks (~4 kilometers every night) that we would even consider doing it in the midst of a light drizzle? A few months ago we would most likely have found a dozen excuses to just sit back and stay glued to the computer or TV screens if there was even a hint of rain in the air.

Times have changed. And so, I hope, have we.

It took a week and a half of excruciating abdominal pain, a date with the surgeon (for laparoscopic cholecystectomy, to remove my gallbladder), and the sight of all 20-odd gallstones (the largest of which was 1.5 cm) for us to take a really hard look at our lifestyle.

To say that I was scared would be an extreme understatement. Sure, the operation was a success, my gallbladder had been removed, and there didn't seem to be any long-lasting ill effects. The doctor even told me that I could eat everything, in moderation.

I remained worried though: if I continued with the way things were, would there be any symptoms and illnesses that could rear their unwelcome heads down the road and attack any other organs? Did I want to spend time in the hospital once again and have someone cut into me again?

I have 2 kids, both under the age of 8. I would like to be there to see their shenanigans while they are still young, to see them graduate from grade school, high school, and college. To be with them when they get married, and to hold my grandkids in my arms.

This proved to be a powerful objective, one that spurred me, and Hubby as well, to change our lifestyle. Gone are the numerous bottles of Coke Zero that used to be a ubiquitous accompaniment to our meals. In the past month and a half, we've consumed maybe a glass each -- and only during a birthday party, at that. The generous handfuls of M&Ms are now a thing of the past -- maybe 2 or 3 pieces in a week, and only if the little ones insist on offering us some. We've also managed to drastically cut down on chips & dips -- no more one-bag-a-night habits!

We now enjoy more fiber in our meals -- oatmeal, wheat bread are now regular parts of our diet. We never realized how many flavored variants Quaker Oats had! After a month of eating wheat bread, when I was given a white-bread sandwich it seemed to be so.. insubstantial.

Yogurt became a staple as well. Kudos to those who conceptualized Nestle's Fruit Selections! I've even learned to use plain yogurt as a healthier substitute for mayonnaise -- and no, it does not detract from the taste. In fact my favorite sandwich filling now is chicken sandwich with diced apple, onions, in a yogurt-mustard mix.

The frequent trips to fast-food outlets have been lessened as well. We've learned to pause and think first if what we to order from the tops of our heads are wise choices. We need not starve or deprive ourselves. It's all a matter of having the right portions and choosing the healthier options. Fish now appear as frequently on our table as meat. I now routinely peel of the chicken skin and give it to my older daughter, who loves it (no, she does not yet need to diet, so that's still ok with her). Fried foods have given way to less fatty dishes.

Fruits and veggies are much more appreciated now, and are a large part of our meals. Rice has taken a bit of a back-seat: from the 1-or-more cups per meal before, this has now been reduced to a third of a cup. Small, frequent meals do help, instead of bingeing during main mealtimes. The stomach is, after all, a muscle, which can be trained to handle smaller portions instead of huge ones.

The transition has not been as difficult as I would have imagined, prior to the operation. It's probably because I have now learned to appreciate food now just solely for the flavor come-on, but also for the nutritional benefits they can give me.

The evening walks we used to have were infrequent and aimless, when Hubby and I just strolled around leisurely. Nothing wrong with that, really. But we kicked it up a notch now, and have brisk walks - sometimes interspersed with short jogs - every night, even during a light drizzle. We've realized that our pace has grown much, much faster than before. Our breathing has improved, and we do not get tired as easily.

The benefits are also quite noticeable: 5 kg for Hubby, and 10 kg for me! We feel healthier, we can fit into our smaller-size clothes, we do not get tired as easily as before, plus, we save a lot from not having all those junk food around!

Now, let's just hope that our will-power stays constant, and that we can continue on this road.

No comments:

Post a Comment