Sunday, June 26, 2011

Veggie Salad with Mayo-less Thousand Island Dressing

We usually have a vegetable salad at home every two weeks or so. Crunchy lettuce, shredded carrots, cool cucumber slices, juicy tomatoes, tangy onion, and sweet corn kernels all provide a delectable feast to both the eye and the palate. To have a counterpoint of salty to the sweet and hint of sourness, we also add in some hard-boiled egg slices and grated or cubed cheese. I have also been known to sprinkle some walnuts on top. This hefty salad has at times even become my main meal, instead of an accompaniment.



What about the dressing though? Our preferred mix was the thousand island dressing, a mix of tomato catsup and mayonnaise. I have discovered recently though that plain yogurt is actually a very good substitute for mayo. So I tried that and came up with a mayo-less thousand island dressing that was every bit as yummy!


I'm looking forward to further discoveries.

No comments:

Post a Comment