Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Weekend is Here!

The weekend is here!       

That has got to be the mantra of those who look forward to some R&R after a gruelling  week in the workplace.  One does not even need to wait for Saturday to officially come -- once the work is laid to rest on Friday, then it's the weekend!  I think that Fridays are days where working people are most upbeat, simply because after being frazzled for four days, this last day gives them something to look forward to, and pressures and deadlines can now be taken with a spoonful of sugar.

Right now the whole house is quiet, everyone else is still abed. Hmm, what to do, what to do in this little two-day pocket of "work-less-ness"?

I want to write -- which is what I am doing now anyway.  Somebody once said that to be a writer meant practicing one's craft diligently.  Would that I could have that discipline!  But then what would I write about?  Anything that catches my fancy, even stream-of-consciousness style writing would be a good way to flex these brain cells.

Maybe I should bake?  I find baking a therapeutic task.  Immersing oneself in the moment of mixing and combining all these disparate ingredients, allowing chemistry and heat transfer to do their magic (the chemical engineer in me could not resist putting these in, haha!), then put in some artistic finishing touches, and voila!  Something tangible, something yummy! 

Or put up the Christmas tree and other Yuletide trimmings around the house.  Halloween is over now, and I think I'm actually late already by Filipino standards.  My five year-old has been counting down the days to Christmas, and has been barraging me with questions as  to when the tree would be up and whether she could decide the decor arrangements.  I told her she could tell me her plans and I would give the final go-ahead.  Ha!  I smack of management-speak now!

The fine weather is holding, so maybe I should also go out and walk around with the baby in tow.  We've lately seen some interesting birds visiting our yard and the golf course in our residential area: what looked to be white spoonbills and blue swifts, apart from the occasional crow and the ubiquitous brown maya.  We've also tried to grow some fruits and veggies in the backyard, and the papaya trees are bearing fruit -- lots of it!  Amateur naturalism gives the little ones a chance to learn and appreciate the things around them.

Of course I can always go grocery-shopping, what with an SM mall just ten minutes away.  I can just hear the Christmas carols already being played over the airwaves and broadcast full-blast over the mall's sound system. Not a very enticing thought though.  Just thinking about the crowds that are surely doing their early Christmas shopping is enough to make me think twice about it.

We could go on a road trip, just driving around with no particular destination in mind, and just see where our fancy takes us, and absorb the scenery that we normally take for granted during time-driven trips. This, however, is not an option right now, as both hubby and I are on-call at the plant this weekend.  Thankfully we do not have to go to the office so we can at least rest at home.

I could pick and choose from all of these and more, and hope that the end result is the same: that I come out of it energized and ready to face another week.  Until the next Friday comes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment