Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Bangus Belly Anecdote

January 1 2013: New Year's Day lunch included oven-baked whole bangus (milkfish) stuffed with onions and tomatoes. Now, I am known in our family as one who, in the past, would fight tooth and nail for that delectable part of the fish -- the belly, with its succulent layer of dark fat that just melts in your mouth.

In Ilocano, we call the belly "buksit". So I guess my moniker could be "Buksit Monster". My younger sister also shares this appetite for this most-coveted part of the bangus' anatomy. You can then just imagine how mealtimes would be when we had bangus -- fried, inihaw, sinigang, paksiw. My sister and I would jostle each other to get to the buksit. Fortunately our parents knew the drill and, the selfless folks they were, proceeded to equally apportion their share of the belly to their two little girls.

Mmmm, those were good times.

Thank goodness for the convenience of boneless bangus belly portions nowadays.

My older daughter finds the belly too "nakakasawa", so she prefers the meaty part of the fish. My younger one though is more than happy to get her Atchi's share -- she loves buksit just as much as Mama! Her chubby little face just lights up when she sees bangus belly on her plate.

And so I have gotten used to giving up some (take note: not always all) of my buksit for the little one.

Back to New Year's Day. I was spooning some of the fish to put on someone's plate (I forget now whose that was, we had a lot of family members in the house that time). I then turned to get something else, and when I looked back, I had a big chunk of prime buksit on my plate, courtesy of my loving hubby!

He knows me so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment