Sunday, June 26, 2011

Not-So-Sinful Choco-Chip Cookies

Our older daughter has been hankering for home-baked chewy choco-chip cookies since last week. I made her a promise to bake a batch this weekend. This Sunday afternoon, I finally did.

I scouted around for a lower-calorie alternative to my original recipe, which had lots of butter and sugar. One interesting alternative I read about was to use applesauce instead of oil or butter. I did not have applesauce on hand, but I did manage to find a seemingly less sinful recipe for this universal favorite.

This new recipe (from Spark Recipes) had less butter -- and I used the 'light' variant of Magnolia butter as well. It called for just the egg whites instead of the whole eggs. I also purposely did not use the whole quantity of sugar as directed. I was a bit worried about this, but the cookies still turned out sweet! Next time I might just reduce the sugar a bit further.

A side note: the original recipe mentioned a yield of 26 cookies. I doubled the quantities, but was only able to get 40 cookies in all. I guess the size of the dough balls assumed for the recipe was smaller than what I had done. But they were just right for us!

The little girl insisted on "helping" -- which to her meant pouring the ingredients into the mixing bowl. I let her "help" with some of the ingredients.

The dough came out a bit crumbly at first, so I added a splash of milk just to bind the mixture. It came together nicely, and became quite thick. This is how the dough looked like. Don't the dark-and-white morsels look tempting?



The little one also requested that two kinds of chocolate chips be included in the cookie dough -- the dark and white ones. So I put them in, plus I added a bonus of chocolate-covered crunchy morsels on top of the formed cookie dough balls as well. 


One thing I learned in baking cookies for several years now -- it helps to use an ice cream scoop to have uniformly-sized cookies. Spoons just didn't work for me. Using my hands was also an option, but they just got quite sticky and messy. And so I still stick with the ice cream scoop for nicely rounded cookies.



This was how the first tray of cookies looked while baking. I just love looking at the cookie dough balls rise into decadent cookies!



After 10 minutes per tray in a 150 deg C oven, I took the cookies out of the oven and placed them on the table to cool, then transferred them onto a cookie rack. The cookies gave off a warm, comforting aroma that was just so tempting. The little one helped herself to a warm, chocolate-still-melting cookie and declared it wonderful!






After they had cooled sufficiently, the cookies were put into a trusty Lock & Lock container (our equivalent of a cookie jar). I'm just not sure how long the cookies will stay there though -- but then again, isn't the speed at which they disappear the measure of yumminess that we all would love to have?

No comments:

Post a Comment