Sunday, June 26, 2011

Oh-So-Creamy Mac & Cheese

When the weather turns nippy and the compulsion to go out of the house plummets down to zilch, it's just so comforting to snuggle up in a corner of the sofa with a bowl of creamy mac & cheese.

It's not a hoity-toity dish, nor does it presume to be anything reeking of "gourmet". But its appeal lies in its simplicity, in its ability to satisfy one's longing for a hearty, filling treat. So my tastes run to the pedestrian -- nothing wrong with that, eh?

One day our older daughter wheedled and cajoled for me to make her some macaroni and cheese from scratch. I used to cook this for myself when I was still single, but I had not done so in quite some time. I usually relied on boxed pasta mixes -- hey, they were ready in a jiffy, right?

But since it was a request that I was hard put to decline, I rummaged in our cupboard to see what ingredients were available: butter, milk, pasta, cheddar cheese, parmesan, Cheez Whiz, corn kernels. Hmm, it appeared as if everything was going to go her way after all.

And so I melted a bit of butter with some milk, brought the mixture to a boil, then poured in some pre-cooked pasta (I used macaroni). Then I mixed in some grated cheddar, some parmesan, and a couple of teaspoons of Cheez Whiz. After everything got to be nice and gooey, I added some corn kernels -- simply because the little one loved mixing corn with her pasta.


The result: creamy macaroni and cheese that hit the spot for the little girl. Sure, it's not a guilt-free treat for those on low-calorie diets. But hey, this one's for a growing kid, after all.

Next time though, I may just add some carrots, peas and broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment