Sunday, June 26, 2011

Crunchy Chicken Salad Sandwich

Chicken salad has been one of my favorite sandwich fillings since I was a child. Earlier this month, I tried experimenting and came up with my own version, sans the mayonnaise that is a staple of chicken sandwiches.

I boil chicken breasts in some onions, garlic and celery -- this helps the chicken absorb some of the good flavors while being boiled. I then remove the skin and bones, then dice the meat. Not too finely though, as I like some heft and texture to my sandwich.


Minced onions and diced apples provide an interesting contrast to the chicken - the crunch and the tang really appeal to me. The photo below shows that the apple has begun to oxidize already -- I should have added some citrus juice to it earlier on.

Interesting bit of trivia: I read somewhere that an onion and an apple would taste the same, if not for their smell. Hmmm, does that mean then that if I have a really bad cold, I could munch on an onion happily? Well, I guess those I would talk to wouldn't be so happy...


Mix the dry ingredients and add a pinch of salt, as well as a teaspoon or two of lemon, calamansi, or other citrus juice.



Instead of mayonnaise, I use plain yogurt (as with my mayo-less thousand island dressing). The blend of plain yogurt and mustard here just complements the chicken-apple-onion mixture.



The mustard in the salad gives it its yellow hue.

One time I layered some shredded lettuce on a slice of wheat bread, spread the chicken salad filling on top, and added some grated carrots -- the colors were just so delightful.


Chicken salad is really still one of my favorite fillings, ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment