Sunday, February 6, 2011

Of Weekends and Sine Curves

If working people around the world share the TGIF sentiment at the end of the (usual-for-most-countries) workweek, what is the equivalent expression for Mondays? WTHIM (What the heck, it's Monday)?

I've always envisioned the general mood across the working week to be like the sine curve. Yes, the math geek in me is rearing its head, I know. Back to the sine curve: after cresting on Saturday, when people let their hair down, party, relax, feast, detox, or simply vegetate, the mood slowly but surely creeps into a downward trend, reaching the trough at around Wednesday. After this the weekend comes into sight once more, bringing a lighter mood that becomes positively buoyant by Friday. And so the cycle repeats itself.

Hmm. I never knew that the sine wave could be applied to psychological observations.

I am not yet on the downward spiral even though it is Sunday night and tomorrow is another workweek. It helped that I got to satisfy my bookshop fix today -- I was finally able to visit Powerbooks after about a month and a half (yes, that IS a long time for me), and was able to lug home a substantial haul. Hurray for new books!

It was a family excursion to the mall, and I am ever so grateful to the hubby for shepherding the two little girls around the bookshop to let me have some scouring-around-the-shelves time. I was able to comb through the aisles to my heart's content.

Through the drives to and from the mall, we were so worried that the toddler would have an attack of motion sickness. Hurray, hurray! For the first time she did not spew inside the car! We were all so relieved.

It was a tiring, but eminently quite satisfying day, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment