Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Post-Christmas Stress Syndrome?

Yesterday was the first time this year that I missed a post. Yeah, we had a number of friends over for dinner, and yeah, we didn't really notice the time.  And yes, there were the two little ones who were vying for attention that I sometimes wished I could split myself in two so I could give them undivided attention.  I still felt a wee bit disappointed that I didn't manage even a few lines. But hey, I've forgiven myself for that now.


I'm in a mild funk at the moment, probably some form of post-holiday stress syndrome, haha! But yes, those two weeks of not having anything structured to do, of having a fluid and relaxed schedule, are really something I am quite grateful for.


I actually did get to do a number of things over the holidays, and I am thankful that I did have enough time to do them all:
  • Bake. And I mean, BAKE! As in huge loads of brownies and cookies, both for giving out as presents and for family requests. Choco-walnut brownies, cream cheese-coffee brownies, carrot bars, cream cheese cookies, among others! I somehow derive a whole lot more satisfaction out of making something for friends and loved ones, than just simply buying them off the shelves. Or if making something is not feasible, I do put a lot of thought into choosing presents. I do make a big deal out of Christmas -- it's the inner child in me!
  • Puttered around and created some new accessories. A new-found hobby of mine, I discovered that I actually had a kikay side! I enjoy sifting through the varied beads I have, taking time to carefully design the piece, then fastidiously choose the stones, charms, chains and settings to shape the idea into reality. I never realized before how much preparation that actually took! It's so satisfying to hear someone express honest appreciation about my designs, all the more so when I see them wearing the pieces more than once, after the obligatory I'll-try-them-on-right-now-so-you-see-how-I-appreciate-your-gift.
  • Played the Christmas CDs. I am a sucker for the traditional Christmas songs. I think I'm the one in the family who is most eager to listen to the classic tunes of Jingle Bells, Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, Let It Snow, Silent Night, and a host of other selections. It brings back vivid memories of our childhood Christmases, when our cares were centered around what was inside the gaily wrapped presents under the tree. I am able to recall specific instances in my life based on certain songs I associate with them -- what was playing at the time, or what were the hits during that timeframe. Fourth-year high school was "Heaven Knows", for example, while "The Promise" was sixth grade. I guess it's a bit weird, but that's me.
  • Meet up with friends from waaaaay back. Not just from college, nor merely from high school. We're talking elementary days here. I do get surprised myself, whenever I count the number of years we've all known one another. It was a night of fun and laughter and reminiscences and catching up. And of course, loads of food! After all, what are holidays for?
  • Walk with the kids. Around the residential area where we live, almost every morning and afternoon, sometimes even in the evenings. The nippy December air considerably added to the anticipation of these strolls. It was such a joy seeing the two little girls skipping merrily along, holding hands while jumping around, or simply just chasing each other.
  • Be a shutterbug. In the past year or so, I developed quite an interest in photography. And while I have not had any formal training, I'd like to think that I do manage to snap some wonderful images here and there. The holiday break saw me with camera almost always in tow, happily shooting away. The only downside is, I'm normally on the other side of the lens, so I don't appear in too many photos! Oh well...
  • Indulge in my passion for the printed page. Over the Christmas break I did get to read some volumes (oh joy!). Pity there weren't any more days to allow me to read a couple more. I've actually got a pretty good batting average when it comes to reading books. My personal goal is to read at least a book a week, and I've been able to top that for the last couple of years now. Call me geeky, but yes, I am a certified bookaholic.
  • Shop. Christmas is the time for giving, after all. And not just for friends and family, but also for those who do not have the stable, regular (some would even say boring) lives we all take for granted. Choosing for the latter gave me a whole new perspective on needs and wants. An apt phrase comes to mind: "There, but for the grace of God, go I."
  • Spend time with family. It's expected, I know. But the Christmas spirit somehow blankets people with a certain longing to be in the comforting shelter of family, take part in traditions, reconnect with people. We tend to look at things through a haze of holiday-induced benevolence, softening the once-jagged edges of past hurts, making people easier to laugh and to forgive. Maybe expectation breeds reality, but it somehow seems to work. People do appreciate one another more during Christmas. Love begets love. Generosity becomes the norm. Happiness easier to come by. Would that these could last longer than the December break.
Life has been, and continues to be, good.

No comments:

Post a Comment